Differences between Alcohol Detox & Drug Detox
- Alcohol detox can be life-threatening when stopping cold turkey by yourself. Alcohol detox staff is trained for these types of withdrawals specifically.
- The medical staff handling the alcohol detox is trained to help a patient suffering from delirium tremens (DTs).
- These incredible medical practitioners are trained to handle alcohol withdrawals, especially the critical 24-72 hours after the last alcoholic beverage.
- All drugs that are abused have a psychological addiction to them, but alcohol has a physical dependence that is difficult to break. The dependence is a result of mind and body changes that occur while heavily drinking.
Differences between Alcohol Treatment & Alcohol Detox
- Alcohol detox is only the first step to alcohol treatment and recovery from alcohol.
- Detox does not reverse the effect alcohol has on the brain, therefore it is critical to your recovery to become involved with an inpatient recovery program after detox is completed.
- Detox and treatment are not the same, but they work together for you. You can discuss your personal alcohol detox and addiction treatment plan with one of our addiction specialists so it fits your life and allows for a lifelong recovery.